Friday, May 16, 2008

What's the Dilio?

In my seemingly going-nowhere-fast search to better understand the rapidly changing Internet arena for job searches, I have discovered a clandestine revelation. I am not alone!

It seems almost every day there is a new job board or newly surfaced online Web 2.0 service promising to sort it all out and be the de-facto playing field for job seekers. But which ones work is what we all want to know. The jury is out.

From my digging around I can tell you a few things I noticed that are, to be brutally blunt, horrible. Let me explain. A job seeker typically wants to search for jobs that are actually open positions and posted within recent days, and of course meeting their qualifications.

I find, and I could be wrong, that jobs posted in CareerBuilder.com, and Monster.com are either re-posted as new jobs or posted by recruiters looking for talent to add to their databases. This is very troubling to me and our recruiters since we are most interested in placing positions as quickly as possible for our actual open positions. Heck, if we cant place our open positions, we can't stay in business.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the necessity of building a talent pool. But I also understand there is a better way to accomplish this task. We, for one, keep open lines of e-communications with our placements. After all, it is they that can provide the best possible network to available talent. They have friends, family, relatives, neighbors, and co-workers that in essence become our virtual talent pool.

Thankfully, people are intelligent and quickly learning the hidden tricks of many job boards and turning to a more local, quality and successful job recruiters.

My message to many would be to be careful of relying on Monster.com and/or CareerBuilder.com if you are seeking a job. I am not saying you can't find an open position and actually get a good job by using them. I am more saying to open up to other avenues at locating your next job.

No comments: