Monday, May 12, 2008

Do You Really Hate Your Job?

Are you tied of giving dishonest answers to friends and family about how your job is going? Are you tired of allowing your miserable job to negatively effect other areas of your life? Are you tired of being in future financial fear not knowing where the company you work for is heading?

It sounds so easy - if you hate your job that much, then quit! Oh, but quite the contrary indeed. It just isn't that easy for many. And I would know.

I worked at a place nearly 10 years before I could muster enough testosterone to walk away. And hate might be too weak of a word for how I felt working there. Especially the last year that I was there. It wasn't any of my co-workers that I disliked. It wasn't necessarily the owner of the company that I disliked. In fact, the people there might have been a variable that kept me there so long. It was just the fact that I knew the long term outcome of my being there. I knew that I was wasting talents and skills that I could use to flourish elsewhere. I was there under false promises and a self-inflicted false reality. But enough about that as just the thought of my wasteful existence there for so long begins to increase my blood pressure.

The reality for many people is that they feel they simply can't quit their jobs that they despise so much. They manufacture a myriad of obstacles believing they can't do better elsewhere. When you boil these obstacles down however, it is simply fear that remains as a constant with each of these reasons to not leave the job.

And it is this fear that may creep up on you years later when your options may be minimized. Why not open up some options and give yourself a chance at bettering your overall life? When people legitimately hate their job, it typically effects many other aspects of their lives in a negative fashion. Why subject yourselves to this?

Have some confidence in the notion that when you are proactive, things can fall in your lap. When you work towards a dream with passion and conviction and use some planning, common sense and intelligence, it can pay off. And in many cases it does. Think of all the people out there who are successful. Do you believe they are successful for some reason other than their drive at being successful? When you sit and wait for things to happen, you get old.

Reassess your career and determine if it is something that you are happy or even "OK" with. If you really do hate your job then please work towards fixing that problem. I wouldn't say to just quit and walk away, but certainly consider creating a plan of action to put yourself in a better place. I did. And it continues to pay off every day.

Stay tuned, as this is a real topic of interest to me and I want to Blog about how to better position yourself and your career by continously branding yourself. It's really not as difficult as it may sound. Again, more information about this to come.

And really if you are miserable or don't really know if you are miserable, don't just take my word on the topic. There are many resources out there to back up my comments. There is also a book that can be seen at this link that is worth a read.

As always, if you need any career assistance, please consider JTL Services, Inc. We have over 600 clients and thousands of candidates and have been doing this for nearly a decade.

http://www.jtlservices.com/

No comments: