Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Question: What Is A Counter Offer?

Answer:
Accepting a job from one company and then using that offer to get more money from your current employer.

Question:
What does it say about a person who would accept a counter offer?

Answer:
I’ve been in the job placement business for nearly 10 years now and the first time the words "counter offer" came up it was like watching the Patriots loss a perfect season in the Super Bowl to the New York Giants.

I just shook my head in disbelief and could only say “WHAT”. It has and will probably never make good logical sense to me. What you’re basically doing is letting down one company who is excited about you and having another company who has to react to the fact that you put a figurative gun to their head to hire you. And although it may seem difficult to understand and accept - no matter what the candidate thinks, this is exactly what is happening.

Being an employer I know that it’s cheaper for me to offer an existing employee a little more money for them to stay. The alternative is to absorb re-hiring costs to replace that person when all the while I, as the employer, understand what kind of employee I am dealing with and will now better "plan" on "replacing" that employee. For example, I may come across a resume or an individual who would fill the position nicely and offer them the position and let go of the employee who put me in the counter offer position. I have to be able to understand the level of employee this is and act in the manner that makes most business sense to me and the company I am trying to run.

The bottom line is that, I have now learned through job recruiting experience, that candidates who do accept counter offers are usually out of a job in 4 to 6 months and those candidates typically come back and of course - we do not accept them as a candidate at that point for obvious "logical" reasons.

Question:
So what are the real benefits of a counter offer to a candidate?

Answer:
Not much. And although there could be some short term financial gain, there is an even more likelihood of long-term repercussions.

If you, as an employee have had any experiences (good or bad) with counter offers, please comment in this blog so that people can be better informed on what counter offers really entail.

You or a friend looking for a job?
Visit http://www.jtlservices.com/ for information on new job openings in Connecticut and the Raleigh area of North Carolina.


Greg Angelillo
Online Editor
JTL Services, Inc.
725 Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike
Southington, CT 06489
Phone 860-426-0583
FAX 860-628-5008

216 East Chatham Street, Suite 101
Cary, NC 27511
Phone 919-465-7289
FAX 919-465-7281

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just reading your blog and was done and just realized this blog was just posted. I have to comment on this one for sure.

I took a counter offer two years ago on a job. For the first few weeks things were OK at the job I stayed at. Well... the following months were horrible. It was pretty clear that my boss was searching to replace me as soon as I accepted the counter offer. The job got so miserable after a few months I wanted to leave.

I called my recruiter and they no longer wanted to work with me. I didn't understand why. I mean, I thought they would want to place me and make some money.

Turns out, I put them in a bad position with the company they had placed me in to begin with (before I accepted the counter offer). They spent a month working with me to place me in a position and did just that. I used it to get a counter offer and took the counter. I am not saying this happens all the time by no means.

It is possible this was a fluke. Even more of an issue was that this recruiter dealt with all of the good companies that I wanted to work for. What a disaster.

Thankfully, I was able to make the recruiter understand that I had no idea that I was doing anything bad or wrong and they took me back and actually found me a job again which was nice.

Again, I am not saying that this is what will happen to you if you accept a counter offer, but if you do get a counter offer while looking for a new job, please make sure you consider all angels. And please be upfront with your recruiter who is working hard to place you.